32 primary schools in England have been selected as specialist English Hubs. They were chosen in a competitive process, primarily because they have all shown excellent phonics teaching as well as being in areas with the most need. Each hub will choose/employ extra staff as literary specialists who will have access to training and have the capacity to work with other schools.
The hubs are part of a government initiative and their aim is to reach out to other schools to promote a love of reading, improve standards and build a network of excellent phonics and language teaching in every region. The hubs are backed by total funding of £26.3 million to be used for school workshops, more intensive one-to-one support as well as money for resources.
Each hub will run events to showcase excellent practise as well as working with schools to further develop their own practice. Travel and supply money is available for 2 delegates from each. Schools will make an action plan and will be given information about how to apply for extra funding if eligible.
Funding of between £3000 – £6000 is available for schools that:
- Have below the national average in phonics screening test scores
- Have above average numbers of children eligible for pupil premium and/or
- Are in one of the 12 Opportunity Areas
Where exactly are the hubs?
All the 32 school names and addresses are listed by region below
Are schools allocated a hub?
Schools may choose any of the hubs to support them, it does not have to be the closest. Search the individual hub websites to find out exactly what they are offering.
East Midlands & Humber
- St Wilfrid’s Primary School – Millhouses LA, Sheffield, S7 2HE
- Whiston Worrygoose Junior & Infant school – Hall Cl Avenue, Whiston, Rotherham, S60 4AG
- Witham St. Hughs Academy – Warren Lane, Witham St Hughs, Lincoln, LN6 9WF
East of England and North East London
- Elmhurst Primary School – Upton Park Rd, London, E7 8JY
- Grazebrook School – Lordship Road, Stoke Newington, London, N16 0QP
- Myland Primary School – Mill Rd, Colchester, CO4 5LD
Lancashire and West Yorkshire
- All Souls C of E Primary School – Rye Street, Heywood, OL10 4DF
- Burley & Woodhead C of E Primary School – Sandholme Dr, Burley in Wharfdale, Ilkely, LS29 7Q
- Jerry Clay Academy – 90 Jerry Clay Ln, Wrenthorpe, Wakefield, WF2 0NW
- Outwood Primary Academy Lofthouse Gate – Canal lane, Wakefield, WF3 3HU
- St John Vianney Catholic Primary School – Elton Head Road, St Helens, WA9 5BT
- The Greetland Academy – School Street, Halifax, HX4 8JB
- Lealholm Primary School – Lealholm, Whitby, YO21 2AQ
- Orgill Primary School – Southey Avenue, Egremont, CA22 2HH
- Michaels C of E Primary school – The causeway, Larkhill, Salisbury, SP4 8FB
- Westgarth Primary School – Redcar Road, Redcar, TS11 6AE
South Central and North West London
- Roade Primary School – Hartwell Road, Northampton, NN7 2NT
- West London Free School Primary – 30-32 Bradmore Park Rd, London, W6 0LB
- Whiteknights Primary School – Fairlawn Green, Reading, RG2 8EP
South East and South London
- Chesterton Primary School – Dagnall Street, Battersea, London, SW11 5DT
- Kingsnorth Church of England Primary School – Church Hill, Kingsnorth, Ashford TN23 3EF
- Springhill Catholic Primary School – Milton Road, Southampton, SO15 2HW
- Broadclyst Community Primary School – School lane, broadclyst, Exeter, EX5 3JG
- Ilsham C of E Academy – Ilsham Rd, Torquay, TQ1 2JO
- Mangotsfield C of E Primary school – Church Farm Road, Emersons Green, BS16 7EY
- Ramsbury Primary School – Back Lane, Marlborough, SN8 2QH
- St Peter’s Church of England Primary School – Halletts Way, Portishead, Bristol BS20 6BT
- Trenance Learning Academy – Trenance Road, Newquay, TR7 2LU
- Childer Thornton Primary – 2-4 New School Ln. Ellesmere Port, CH66 1QY
- Lacey Green Primary Academy – Barlow Road, Wilmslow, SK9 4DP
- Little Sutton Primary School – Worcester Lane, Sutton Coldfield, B75 5NL
- John Bosco Catholic Primary School – Monmouth Drive, West Bromwich, B71 2ST
With thanks to Beverley Smalley for writing this blog. Beverley is an education specialist, writer and former primary school teacher.