Most children love a chance for Pirate themed play – whether it is part of a wider topic or simply a tuff spot or area set up for a few days.
We love the varied activities that can be found in a Tuff Tray:
- Search for buried treasure – hide jewels and coins in sand. Use mini metal detectors if using metallic coins/items!
- Create pirate ‘grog’ or potions in special potion bottles.
- Draw treasure maps on papyrus paper.
- Dress up.
- Discover keys and treasure chests – with coins and jewels inside!
- Write stories about pirates.
- Read books about discovering the oceans and what lies beneath.
- Use small world creatures of the sea.
- Find out about the history of pirates.
- Create a scene using small world pirate play figures.
- Learn about pirate ships and vessels of the sea.
Explore what happens under the sea using a backdrop of ocean themed fabrics, shimmery sea fabric and netting. Make paper fish and paper plate octupuses. Provide a large treasure chest full of materials and dressing up costumes. Add sand and pebbles for a really immersive feel.
With thanks to Charlotte Parry for this blog post.