Children can draw their own design and then carve the pepper using a reasonably blunt knife as the flesh is so soft.
You will need:
- Orange peppers
- Pen – biro or Sharpie works best (for drawing a design on to carve)
- Battery operated tea lights
- Design a simple face – you won’t have much room so a simple design is best.
- Draw the design onto the pepper with a biro or sharpie.
- Cut out the details.
- It is not essential to scrape out the insides as it is fairly hollow.
- Slice off the top once the face is cut. Doing this last is better as it makes the pepper more stable when cutting the detail.
- Add a rechargeable tea light inside. You may want to remove the innards at this point to make room for the tea light.